THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, June 02, 2004

The day only got better from 10:30 on, no kidding. I actually got my first assignment! How cool is that? Tucson Breast Center had the first MammoPad available. It's supposed to reduce the discomfort associated with mammograms. The story was going to run tomorrow, but now it's scheduled for Friday. I also started working on another story which I'll cover tomorrow morning at 9:30. Fun huh? I worked from 10:30 all the way to 6:00 p.m., no lunch break, just grabbing my half sandwich here and there and a bite of apple here and there. It was so great! I left work practically skipping! Seriously, I know it'll get harder, but I really enjoyed doing the work. It's amazing that I'm getting paid for something I enjoy doing AND something I paid for and spent so much time doing two semesters ago (JMC 301 Reporting). So I'll get my first official by-line Friday morning on the front section (I believe)of the features "Accents" page. It'll also be up on azstarnet. Whoohoo!!!!!
On a different note, I drove over to the Tucson mall, less than a mile away from my apartment, to pay my Express bill (the card is going in the trash as soon as I can get it there). Anyway, wouldn't you know it, I had to pass through Dillard's first and boy was it depressing! I walked out of the mall in a near panic because I just couldn't be around the clothes and shoes and cute stuff anymore. I can't buy anything right now. I need to be good with my money and shopping is seriously like a drug to me, I'm realizing. No, I haven't wasted my life away on spending sprees, I've actually never really gone overboard, but it seems like I've reached this realization that I seem to get the same feelings an alcoholic would or a drug user would. I like to go shopping when I'm especially happy or sad; it makes me feel better. I don't need people there with me, it makes me feel relaxed and happy. I don't suffer from "buyer's remorse" ever. And if Obadiah were to tell me tomorrow that he'd buy me the most expensive necklace in the world, I'd insist that he instead take me to the mall on a shopping spree. Anyway, I truly in my heart of hearts believe there is a slight addiction there, but then again, I do have a very addictive personality, as my father would say I inherited from his side of the family. That's why we have to be careful about everything in moderation. Unfortunately it means I tend to function in extremes sometimes...as if my willpower just isn't good enough in the middle. Excess. I need to just be satisfied with what I have and not desire. But back to the shopping, I saw some of the cutest clothes in the store today and it took so much to pry myself away. Granted, my wardrobe does need to be updated (when overalls and capris are a staple in a 21-year-old's closet, particularly a 21-year-old who needs to dress professionally most of the time) there's something wrong. Anyway, please pray for me and my slight addiction. Some people fast from candy, TV or whatever. I'm going to fast from clothes and "fun stuff" shopping. Only the necessities for me for a while... :( I hate having to be responsible...
So those are my "epiphanies" for the day. It was affirmed once again that I am in love with journalism and it was affirmed once again that I have a problem with my attitudes toward shopping.
Hope everyone is doing fine and dandy
Toodles from Tucson!

No comments: