THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, September 02, 2004

Heather--j.g 9/2/04

What have I to offer
To the person who has none?
What is it I can do
To glorify the Almighty's Son?
I complain I have no money
While I spend it on a meal,
And I cry out for companionship
When all I have to do is kneel.

But she, who sits on the curb
Has no one, or so it seems,
She asks for spare change
In a desperation that demeans.

What brought her to this spot this night
Near the convenience store door,
Crumpled in a small ball
Not knowing what life is for?
Did she have a family?
A mom or a dad?
What brought her to this station
Sitting all alone and sad?

The words are halting
What am I to do?
Christ, what have I to say,
To bring this girl to you?

I didn't expect her to be open
Or for her even to agree,
But there she clutched my hand
And I wished she could be free.
The piercings, the tattoos,
I'd been around them for a while,
I used to judge those who had them
Maybe give them a run-of-the-mill smile.

Her blue eyes lined with black,
Looked back at me with surprise
Her tall skinny frame sat close,
As she bent her head and closed her eyes.

You gave me peace,
The words quite elementary,
And as I drove away,
Things I could've said came to me.

A warrior of prayer I am not,
At times I utter the same old thing,
And in that time when I was called,
I waited for the words that you would bring.

Lord, give me more like that
Let me give it all to them,
Lord, I have so much, I just can't stand it,
I don't even want to pretend!
I get caught up in my own world
Holding onto my own wealth,
And I dare not venture out into the night,
For my own safety and my health.

But Lord, you're my protector,
It's all in your guiding hands,
If this is not where you want me
Send me off to distant lands!
If it is here that you want me to stay
Provide me with more like her,
And I will do what you want
Even if a simple prayer is all I have to offer.

No comments: