THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Youth ministry vs. children's ministry

Juarez, Mexico: Part V

Fast forward a few days...

Vacation Bible school was a hit. Telling our story by using Spanish children's books depicting the story of Queen Esther was definitely the route to go. The kids made crowns for the art project and-- of course-- wanted more jewels for them, but supplies was limited.

With the kids, I could speak in my broken Spanish and not fear too many strange looks. They'd just smile and wait a little longer for me to get my message out. Being that my language skills lie somewhere in the elementary level, I was the perfect communicator for the age group we worked with.

It was my first VBS---ever. Initially, I was a little worried. I mean, working with little kids is just, well, different than working with teens. You have to communicate differently.

But it wasn't a bad change, I realized.

With children, you can love on them--hug them, turn them upside down, and play "pato, pato, ganzo" (duck, duck, goose)---and be given the biggest grins in return. In youth ministry, you usually get a blank stare or "the look" when you try to love on them (in different ways, of course). Okay, that's a generalization, but true much of the time.

I decided to stay at VBS the rest of the week.

During my week of adventures, I bonded with Melody, the youngest daughter of the church's pastoral family. I called her my "mono"--monkey because she loved being dipped upside-down and swung side to side. A fake tattoo of "Donkey" (Shrek) that I found in a Doritos bag thrilled her to no end (she got her sister to put it on her immediately), and hugged me around the legs saying "es de mio" (she's mine) when other kids where fighting for my attention. It was certainly flattering and also such a pure act of love that I don't get to experience too often.

Then there was Daniel. Daniel was the biggest goofball I'd almost EVER met. He taught all the children the "goose dance" when they couldn't win at duck, duck, goose. (I'll have to post the video--he's hilarious!) We had our own little handshake and could play a hand-slapping game for hours after VBS ended each day. He truly gave me that much more to look forward to every day when I went to the church.

I began to see why many in the church choose children's ministry over youth ministry. You get that reaction, that pure loving reaction almost immediately. You know you're the authority over them and can guide them in a way they can't at that age. Youth ministry can leave you feeling a bit insecure and wondering if you're affecting any change.

Perhaps my experience in Mexico gave me a "grass is greener" perspective. Either way, I know God has called me to youth ministry and I will continue with that until He tells me otherwise, but it was certainly a new experience.

Because of my time in the Juarez VBS, when I returned home and found out that our VBS hadn't happened yet, I decided to volunteer.

At first, it was overwhelming because there were so many resources, so many beautiful decorations and other things that our modest VBS didn't have.

While it wasn't the same, I did learn one thing: children are the same anywhere you go. They're willing to be vulnerable and love on you even if they don't really know you. In most cases, they haven't learned how harsh life can be or how mean and unloving people can be. They have a pure faith.

It's no wonder that Jesus cared so much for them.

No comments: